Thursday, June 30, 2005

Open your eyes, open your mind, proud like a god but dont act as if your blind!

Quizzing for me has been more than a hobby. It would be fair enough to say that in some sense it has given me a strong sense of identity and no doubt, the numerous quizzing victories have given me a great sense of belief in my abilities. Time and time again though, I have received numerous jibes from people who have never indulged in this mindsport ( yes thats the term i like to use for it ..mindsport!) ..."ohh man! quizzing is for those who dont have a life...just mug up some facts and vomit it out....whats the difference between quizzing and a university exams....ohh him!! I am sure he has no personality.After all he's a QUIZZER!" Obviously, being the person that I am I have rarely ever bothered to return those jibes, those fools obviosuly dont know what they are talking about. I guess those who speak like that, haven't obviously experienced the sheer ecstasy of cracking connect! Or recalling so many little bits of inane information that you might have just observed in your day to day life and putting them all together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle to come up with a deductive answer which would have done good old sherlock holmes proud! For me quizzing has been nothing more than just observing the world around me a little more keenly, understanding and absorbing before cramming, calculating and taking a minute to think rather leaping to a conclusion.

Was pointed to this really good post on a blog here and it continues here. Really well written articles. They really give a great perspective on quizzing.

One thing however that this quy has missed pointing out is the role that bad quizmasters and the so called "Business " quizzes play in giving this erroneous notion about quizzing. One classic example is Mr Pig-Fucking -Brain Giri Balasubramaniam. Man, I do not know how anyone can tolerate his quizzes. They are nothing but arbit collections of useless trivia and the questions are framed so badly that it does not give anybody the least chance of actually working out the question. And his quizzes follow such a predictable pattern. One question on some business "gurus" book, one question showing some management mugshot and the question would be identify. As if Edward de Bono is my fucking neighbour that i'll know what he looks like. Hell, what has he done, won the Noble Prize? Sorry boss, he aint even a good looking girl that i might spend some time looking on the web for his pics. Attend an Arul Mani quiz, which is nothing put sheer entertainment for both the spectators as well as the participants. Its like watching a match, hell you ARE watching competing teams battling out for just pride more often than not. So spare me the money, would rather go for Arul's quiz then get a freakin headache at the Pig Brain Circus. Frankly, I have no respect for those guys who win these so called Business Quizzes. They aren't the real thing for me.

Current Music: - AudioSlave - Show me how to live