Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day....

So did you miss me while I was gone, dear reader? Did you ? Did you?

Ok, you dont have to answer that, its kinda rhetorical anyway. A new first on this blog. I got my first abusive comment on this blog, wherein somebody bothered to take the post i put up personally and use harsh words to respond back. But then the respondant was actually Konga, so his abuses dont really count. So my score is still love-all in that regard :)

The last trip to Bangalore turned out strengthen my resolution to never settle down in that city, a thought which i had deeply pondered at one point of time in the past. Why did i do that, don't ask me, because its quite true that i dont know where in the world I will be in the next few years, but its always one of those thoughts that you tend to have when you have nothing better to think of. Maybe I just got up that day and decided, " Hey today seems like a good day to ponder about which city i want to settle down in the future"? Maybe my list consisted of cities like New York, Amsterdam, Madrid, Zurich, Prague and Sydney but for some reason, which seem absolutely valid to me at that point of time, i decided to go in favor of Bangalore. However, the recent trip made me realise that such decisions should never be taken in haste or while under the influence of hallucination causing substances or while suffering from their after effects, 'cuz a city is as fluid as your average river, and your decision about the future can never be based on what you perceive at the moment. What has mde me strike Bangalore of my list, dear reader, you must wonder?
Well, for one, its the god forsaken traffic that the city is being subjected too. It took me 45 whole minutes to go from the New Shanti Sagar in Domlur to TGIF opposite Diamond District. This was while I was stupid enough to sit in the company cab. Next day, i was struck by a brilliant brain wave, and i decided to try and make the same journey on foot. I think i must have clocked somewhere between 1 minute 45 secs to 2 minutes.
Secondly, whatever happened to the city? A trip down MG Road on a late weekday night and i saw the streetwalkers openly peddling their wares and propostioning their customers. All this while the cops were standing right around the corner. A little too creepy for my comfort.
Thirdly, the north Indian confrontationist attitude is all to clearly visible. Something which i refuse to digest and would love to stay away from all my life.

However, there are somethings that refuse to change. It took some effort, but i did manage to convince some of my colleagues to miss a bit of the conference and go DVD trawling with me through National Market and I managed to pick up around 20 odd DVDs which included:

1. Nagisa Oshima's "In the Realm of the senses"
2. Lots of Wong kar Wai - 2046, In the mood for love and Chung King Express
3. Chris Nolan's pre "Memento" epic - "Following"
4. Robert Altman's version of Raymond Carver's short stories titled "Short Cuts"
5. A Goo Goo Dolls live in concert DVD

and some other stuff that I dont remember now.

Well, i have been listening to a lot of Meshuggah of late and for me they have come to represent the true heirs to the legacy of the music that was Atheist and Cynic. Their songs have some amazing drumming, mostly sticking to the tempos that are so typical of this genre. Chaosphere, a album they released a while back has been my favourite of theirs for quite a while and i cant get enough of this band for the moment. Another band that seems to have caught my fancy of late has been this melodic death metal band from the US called KillSwitch Engage . Their last 2 albums namely, "Alive or Just Breathing" and "The End of Heartache" have been just fabulous and the songs from them that i recommend are :
1 . Fixation on the Darkness
2. My Last Serenade
3. Life to Lifeless
4. Rose of Sharyn
5. A Bid Farewell
6. Declaration

Amazing tracks, that any self respecting metal fan must listen to.

On an unrelated note, I read about something called "National Delurking Week" that the blogosphere celebrated sometime back and me being the uninformed- hiding-in-his-own-little-cocoon me, did not hear about it till recently. But the gist of the whole thing being that there are a bunch of people who are regulars on your blog, but never comment nor say anything and would it be really nice for the blogger to hear from them. And then it struck me that my blog has a decent reader base and has clocked almost 5,500 visitors in the last few months but i never hear from anyone besides the usual suspects. ( No, all you usual suspects, i am not trying to undermine your value, i really do care about you all......alot!!!) And i know for a fact that there are a bunch of regulars here, from whom i have never heard on this blog. So to all such people, "Do drop in a line in the comments section sometime...it wont hurt ya!!".




Current Music : Powerman 5000 - Free